How I used QR codes to enhance a closure lesson



           21st century classrooms are looking for exciting and meaningful ways to incorporate technology into the classroom. While basic technology can be fun, just like anything else in education, making it intentional and meaningful needs to be the focus. 

I always try to ask myself questions like:

 “Why am I adding technology?”
 “What about this technology makes this lesson better?”

      Many times, giving students hands on opportunities can still be better than superfluous technology. Something to keep in mind. I was introduced to the SAMR model which fit these questions I had been asking myself. 

Are you using technology to enhance the lesson (S, A) or are you transforming your lesson (M,R)?

      Although enhancement can seem appealing, it is a superficial change. The real power of technology can transform a lesson to do things we have never done before.
QR Codes are an exciting way to incorporate technology into classrooms, and when used correctly, can create meaningful learning opportunities. I decided to integrated QR codes into an activity about making decisions regarding irrational numbers. 

      One of the standards in high school (N.RN.3) has students explain why the sum or product of two rational numbers is rational; that the sum of a rational number and an irrational number is irrational; and that the product of a nonzero rational number and an irrational number is irrational. This standard could have been a bland activity where students try different combinations, or maybe I could’ve had them prove their reasoning with formal proofs. 

      The difficulty of this standard is that once they see the counterexample, it’s hard to un-see it, like a crossword. So my challenge was to get them to think critically about whether statements were true, but scaffold in hints without giving away the answers. I chose an always, sometimes, never activity where my QR codes would provide the hints without me having to run around. Looking at the SAMR model, I would consider this an Augmentation Lesson. 

      Technology replaced my ability to give hints and allowed students to think independently so they weren’t skewed by their neighbor’s opinions and ideas, however it did not transform the lesson in a way technology could only provide.
Students would read a statement, decide if it was always true, sometimes true, or never true. They were given space and time to work through their thoughts. When they made their decision they scanned the QR code associated with their choice. The feedback was either they were correct, or they got a hint of an example to try. Once they received a correct response, the message also told students where to go. Students navigated around the room repeating this process through the examples and adding notes to their page until they finished each statement. I had a set of 10 iPods from Donors Choose which supplemented the students who didn’t have devices, or had devices that couldn’t handle the technology. Students could also be paired with another student to reduce the need of technology.


      My students LOVED the activity, and their understanding of the material was just as positive. I asked for feedback in an anonymous survey and they enjoyed using their devices and getting feedback immediately. Obviously I had students who just scanned each QR code until they found the “Correct!” response, which correlated with their lack of understanding during the next day. Just like the kid who looks at someone else’s page in a non-tech embedded lesson.










I hope you enjoy this activity and take a day to enjoy it with your students. 

Please let me know any feedback or ideas you have!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Check in Questions

Who Am I?

Webinar = Blog Hiatus