Homework: A Mother’s Lament




 
       Growing up, we had homework. So as a new teacher, I assigned homework. Nothing special, 1-33 odd on whatever nonsense page we had “learned” that day. In all honesty, I talked and they listened, hardly learning, but that is another can of worms. I graded it, and hated every moment.
Then I decided to really think about what I was assigning. Maybe 2 from this section, 3 from that, and always some word problems. Cue late and missing assignments, full lunch sessions of make-up work, etc. I am sure everyone knows the scene.
 “I am teaching them responsibility” I would tell myself. “But what about the curve of forgetting?” the little voice in my ear would say when I wanted to skip it. Back then, my son was in preschool. He never wanted to sit with me to talk about letters or numbers, but he could build a Lego set for 8 year olds.

    Then, he started Kindergarten. Besides the adventure of learning that he had ADHD and all that ensued from that (a future blog post I am sure), I started homework with him. I made to do lists and carved out time for him and me to sit and work. HARDLY. It was scenes of crying, frustration and anger as I worked to be patient with a kid who had used up all his energy being engaged during school. We didn’t have time to play outside or walk the dog or play…or build Lego sets. We had to get our work done, and it took forever.
        The scale was tipped on my view of homework. 4 problems MAX for my students, and time to do it in class. At first, their procedural fluency went down because their practice was gone (and by practice, I mean homework help at the beginning of every class). But, because I got back roughly 15 minutes a day of homework review, I added procedural practice to my routine. Imagine: practicing newly learned concepts and procedures with a person who can help!!! My classroom evolved. My students were finishing their work, copying disappeared, test scores went up, UNDERSTANDING WENT UP, all by eliminating the stress of homework.

But what about the teachers who didn’t experience this? What about the teachers who still think they are creating opportunities for responsibility and follow through?

Some teachers are really trying. The research is out there that homework isn’t worth it, but teachers (and parents) need support to take the jump.

Cue today’s epiphany: Homework calendars.

What?? Bear with me...

     My son’s third grade teacher has started homework calendars. Each week we complete 4 activities from the calendar and reflect. But here’s the best part, the activities are FUN, and because I am a math teacher, I make sure math shows up somewhere (I also add any related content area). And when my son (and daughter) have an interest, we follow up and create a new square on the homework calendar.

This weekend, my son saw a giant bottle of water and said “I wonder how much water fits in that bottle?” I asked him to make some Goldilocks estimates (Too low, too high, just right). He guessed and then explained why. He estimated where one bottle would reach if he dumped it in, then iterated that up the bottle. I wanted to ask him about the narrow top, but I held myself back for the investigation. Then, the family estimated, because we play math all the time.

Andrew: 6 bottles
Emily: 11 bottles
Mommy: 7 bottles
Daddy: 7.5 bottles

So, we filled it up! After the first bottle was dumped in, he saw he underestimated the height and immediately wanted to change his estimate, so he did. His new estimated was way too high, but we went with it, because 1. It was his estimation, and 2. his reasoning was sound.


SPOILER ALERT!!**********************************************************************



6 bottles and the majority of the 7th bottle filled the bottle. We measured the remaining water from the 7th bottle and talked about our estimates. The final amount was 6 and ¾ bottles.

Picture this: our whole family sitting outside watching my son fill a water bottle to discover the accuracy of his/our estimation.


His reflection for his homework was that he learned how to estimate and it was the most challenging homework activity. Challenging, with smiles. Compare the tears and fights to this, and imagine how it would feel to create this for all families.

What I want to do is to help make homework calendars. There are so many resources out there that any teacher would be overwhelmed! But what if we picked our favorite things we do in math (and really all content areas) to make homework calendars a la #MtBos. What if we took out the guess work and filled half the calendar for teachers?

I plan to start with 3rd grade (for obvious reasons).








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Check in Questions

Who Am I?

Webinar = Blog Hiatus