Two not so Different Worlds (Primary & Secondary)

November 9, 2016

I am not an elementary school teacher. 

I have a mathematics degree and the majority of my experience has been in a secondary classroom.
Robert Fulgham
I spent 3 years in varying ages from birth to prek. With this wide range of experience, I have always said that high school students are just kindergartners who "wipe their own nose". Although I agree with the obvious that they do more than that, it is important to remember that our primary and secondary students deserve the same, welcoming, highly engaging, rigorous, hands on education.

Don't skimp with kindys and don't forget to have fun with big kids.








One of my favorite activities is card sorts, arranging cards, find a frame, fill a frame, ... (the list goes on). Recently, I used this strategy with my first grader. He was working on related number sentences.


For those of you who are unaware of the math associated with this academic language (myself included until a couple days ago), here is an example:

14-6=8
14-8=6
6+8=14
 8+6=14

In the Go Math Curriculum (and I am sure others), they will give 4 numbers, where one doesn't belong as part of a related number sentence. 

Side bar, this book is on my Christmas list:



                                                                                  Anyway, here's the problem:

"Which number cannot be used to write related number sentences? Explain."

Note: as soon as my son sees the "Think Smarter" orange label, he freaks out and assumes he can't do it. 

So initially, we went through combinations to find numbers that worked together on paper. How I would do it. Abstract. (facepalm) I think we all assume how well that went.

Then this problem came around with its cutesy polka dots and it reminded me of a card sort. So I tried it!


Little man succeeded on the first try. And when I asked him to show me another, he was excited.

EXCITED! 

I am sure elementary teachers all around are using this method to teach conceptual understanding of related number sentences. I don't think my son's teacher tried it (she's amazing btw). And how many others have never thought to try it? How many tactile learners are being skipped?

I am not an elementary teacher, but I am a mom who is pulling out all the stops to help my son enjoy math. I will do what it takes to help him deeply understand the concepts he is presented. 

I hope it is safe to say that all teachers want this. Conceptual understanding! 

We are not different. My TOSA team has taught me that great mathematics instruction knows no age or content. Just the creativity of the teacher.

This is not a moment, it's the movement.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Check in Questions

Who Am I?

Webinar = Blog Hiatus